Links



Bars where Pete has had a Drink (5,736 bars; 1,754 bars in Seattle) - Click titles below for Lists:


Bars where Pete has had a drink

Sunday, April 11, 2010

#1069 #S626 - Crown Hill Pub, Seattle - 4/7/2010

Update: The Crown Hill Pub closed after the death of long term owner Hope Greebaum in 2015.

A neighborhood dive where the bartender knew everyone by name (except me). Martina, the bartender, alternates between serving up Olympia and chatting on the phone ("Hi. I'm doing fine. Who am I speaking? I am making my dollar.") Another partner talks about his last time at the pub, when someone wanted to trade his '96 Ford F150 pickup for his cadillac (in all my visits to bars, no one's ever made me a serious offer to trade cars).

There has been a bar in this location since at least 1940, when the Polk guide lists a bar owned by Theo. Woelfert. Shortly thereafter it was briefly Johnny Olson's Tavern. From 1955 to 1959 it is listed as Sportsmen's Tavern, then the Terminal Tavern or Glaser's Terminal Tavern from 1961 to 1980. It is listed as Sidewinder in the early 80s, then the Water Hole from the late 80s to the mid 90s. I'm not sure when it became Crown Hill Pub but it was sometime between 1995 and 2000.




8511 15th Ave NW, Seattle, Washington 98117
Building constructed: 1927
Previous bars at this location: Johnny Olson's Tavern, Sportsmen's Tavern, Terminal Tavern, Sidewinder, The Water Hole
seattlest -

1 comment:

Unknown said...

A great local dive bar with great bartenders. A nice quite place to have and afternoon bar.